Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Twins

Just reflecting for a minute and thought I'd share. It's been 11+ months, or should I say, it's just less than one month until Mike and I are the parents of two ONE year olds. WOW! They were so tiny when they were born, and now, they've not only caught up, but Nicole is on the larger side for her age. They both crawl now, and they pull up, and they're eating several people foods (still plenty of baby foods, but we're making the move). Kaitlyn says DaDa, and Nicole is on the verge of a real word any day now. She babbles babababa all the time now.

Anyway, what I reflect on the most is that we have twins. You all probably think that sounds crazy. Mike and I have had 11 months with them to get used to the idea, not to mention the 7 months we were pregnant with the knowledge that it was twins. However, you'd be surprised. There are still many days when we look at each other and say, "I can't believe we have twins." I wonder if/when the idea will finally sink in. :-) They're such a blessing, and we can't imagine life without them, but it's still a bit new to us (as is parenthood in general). No one in our circle of friends has twins. No one in our family has twins. It's just unique, and we're still getting used to it (so to speak).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is still a bit surreal, even after 11 months. What I find interesting is that everything gets done twice around the ol' Barbree household. Change two diapers, say "hi Kaitlyn / Nicole!!!" twice after I get home from work, not one bath but two, not one bottle but two, not one bib but two, not enough fruit for one baby but enough for two... It has been a quick 11 months...

Anonymous said...

And I have seen not one, but two wonderful parents emerge from all of this. I believe we all have been assigned to the tough duties on this planet that we can handle. Mike and Alyson, you are two exceptional parents who display love for your children every day in many ways. Keep up the good work! Kaitlyn and Nicole are lucky to have you both .... and I am lucky to get to be the Grandma!!

Anonymous said...

I still have those days that I look at my boys and say to myself that I can not believe that I have two stinky boys. And by stinky, I mean the loves of my life. I am a big sap myself. Especially when they are sleeping, I still look at them and get teary eyed. How did I get so lucky???
What I am trying to say is...It may never completely sink in that you have twins. That you have two beautiful little girls that have completely changed your world. Enjoy every minute of it. They will grow up faster than you can imagine.