Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Cute Story

I've been meaning to write this down somewhere so I don't forget it later in life.  Kaitlyn will definitely want to hear this one!  This blog is the perfect place.

A few weeks ago, I was pulling in the driveway with the girls after work.  It was maybe a week after Halloween, and we had put up orange and red lights for Halloween.  Now, they were taken down and Nicole immediately noticed when we pulled in.  "Where are the lights?"  I told her that we took them down but not to worry that in a few weeks there would be much better Christmas lights up.  She refused.  She didn't "want" Christmas lights.  She didn't "like" Christmas lights.  She wanted Halloween lights.  Knowing that I wasn't going to win this argument, we dropped it and went inside.

Maybe 15 minutes later over dinner, I thought that I'd try to hype up Christmas a little more.  (What parent needs to hype Christmas by the way....don't think I'll ever have to do it again...it's having quite the impact this year?)  Anyway, I start to talk to them about the events that lead up to Christmas.  I mention the twinkle lights all over town that we get to look at.  I mention that we'll go sit on Santa's lap.  Then, I feel like it would be bad parenting to not mention the real reason for the holiday, so I talk about how it's exciting and fun to go to church on Christmas Eve and sing songs to celebrate Baby Jesus' birthday.  The girls both get excited which makes me feel good.  They even ask if they get to sing Happy Birthday to Baby Jesus.  How cute.

Ok, so we move past church to the rest of Christmas Eve...the putting the cookies and carrots out, getting in our Christmas PJs and going to bed.  Then, Santa comes while we sleep, and when we wake up, we run downstairs and there are lots of presents to open.

After my story, I feel good, and Nicole has forgotten about Halloween.  But I want to make sure that the real message of the holiday was received and that they know this is really all about baby Jesus.  So, I ask them, "What is Christmas for?  Why do we celebrate Christmas?"  They both got it right...Baby Jesus' birthday!

Long story getting longer, and you're wondering where is the cute or funny part, right?  Well, here it comes.

Another 5 minutes or so goes by and I want to test them again to make sure they've got it.  So, I ask again.  Here's how that goes:

Nicole:  It's not a birthday.
Me:  Yes it is.
Nicole:  No, it's not a birthday.
Me:  Yes it is.
Nicole:  If it's a birthday, then it's my birthday.
Me:  No it's not your birthday.
Nicole:  Yes it is.

At this point, I'm frustrated and decide to move to my other kid.  So, I turn to Kaitlyn and ask:

Me:  What is Christmas about?
Kaitlyn:  (drum roll please) It's Chuck E Cheese's birthday!!!!
Kaitlyn:  (immediately following that statement)  No, whose birthday is it?  (At least she recognized that Chuck E Cheese wasn't the right answer!!!!)
Me:  Baby Jesus
Kaitlyn:  Oh yeah, Baby Jesus.

So, that will forever be the joke in my head:  that Christmas is Chuck E Cheese's birthday.  And truly, you can see how she would get confused.  Say them over and over and back to back.  The "Jesus" kind of sounds like "Cheesus" ie. Chuck E Cheesus.  Cute, cute, cute!!!

3 comments:

Philip Prentice said...

FYI...A recent and punny name of a GLEE episode was "The Grilled Cheezus"...this easily misunderstood word spans across generations, from toddlers to script writers...

The Family said...

Yep. I saw that Glee episode too which I think made me laugh even harder when she said it. I assure you, my preschoolers have never seen Glee though, so this was a completely unprompted and innocent and funny comment. :-)

Asia said...

I was laughing so hard that I cried:) I love my monkeys so much:)