Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Friday, August 24, 2007

I'm Not Cut Out for This

Who thinks about shots when they become a parent? Probably nobody, but they should. (kidding obviously, but this stinks) My girls have thier 2 month appt on Monday, and I knew this appt included shots. Stupid me asked how many shots they were going to get when the lady called to confirm their appts today. She said FOUR EACH!!!! Oh my goodness. I'm going to break down in tears...I just know it. Luckily Mike will be able to go with me to this appt. I knew it was a 'shot' appt so I made sure to have him take the afternoon off.

I'm going to stress about this all weekend too, and all day Monday, since the appt isn't until 3pm. AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is it too late? Yep, I guess so. I'm already a parent with two beautiful children. But I really don't want them to get stuck four times each. :-( I was thinking maybe two shots each...certainly not FOUR!!! Pray for us on Monday. Or should I say, pray for me. I'm probably going to have a worse day than either of them. :-(

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shots definitely are NOT fun but it sounds worse than it is. It goes by pretty fast and the tears don't last for too long (as least with my boys...maybe i just got lucky there). I did cry the first time that they got shots. Something about the way they look up at you...it just broke my heart. But it'll be OK. It definitely gets easier. My boys seem to take it better when I put my face close to theirs and distract them with my lovely singing voice. And when I say lovely, I really mean terrible. LOL. It must be hard for the nurse to keep from laughing!! Our fave songs are "You are my sunshine", the Barney song, and the one I made up that goes to the tune "the wheels on the bus". I think you've heard it before. It's a silly, simple song but the boys LOVE it.

Did they tell you to give them some Infant Tylenol right before the appointment?

Anonymous said...

PLEASE be aware that you DO NOT have to give them all the shots (at this appt and future ones) that they want you to get AT THE SAME TIME. That is a whole lot of gunk going into their little bodies at the same time. Think about it - what ADULT even gets four shots at the same time - and that's with let's say 150 pounds of body to absorb them. So why do they want us to give babies not even 10 pounds four or five shots at a time? No thank you.

Katie's appointment is Tuesday, so we're in the same boat this week. She is supposed to get 5 shots, but she will not be getting them all. We will do 2 and then 3 in a week or two. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever that they need all of these shots NOW. It just makes it easier on the docs to have all kids in sync with their vaccination schedule. Not my problem.

That being said... about the pain/crying issue. They really are too young right now, and even for the next few rounds of shots, to even know what's going on. They will cry for maybe 10 seconds and then it's over. It's when they get older and don't understand why they are being hurt that it gets hard. So even though this does indeed suck, suck, suck - enjoy it because it gets worse as the get older. UGH!

Elizabeth said...

I told Nolan he was a wimp when he started crying after his shots. His big brother didn't cry when he got his heal pricked every couple of hours.

Guess that's the ex-NICU mom in me.


Give the girls baby tylenol when the dr goes to get the shots and again when you get home. They cry for a few seconds and will sleep the rest of the day.